Hospitals in the Gaza Strip are "very crowded" as a result of the ongoing Israeli bombardment of the territory, a Gaza-based doctor has said.
Speaking to Al Jazeera on Sunday, Mohamed Abu Silmiya, director of Al-Shifa Hospital, said that the hospital was struggling to cope with the influx of casualties.
"We are receiving a large number of wounded people, and our resources are limited," he said. "We are in need of medical supplies and equipment, especially those needed for emergency rooms and intensive care units."
Abu Silmiya also said that the Israeli power cuts were making it difficult to treat patients.
"The power cuts are affecting our ability to operate and provide essential services," he said. "We are using generators, but they are not enough."
The Israeli bombardment of Gaza has killed at least 44 people and injured hundreds more since it began on Friday. The majority of the casualties are civilians.
The Israeli government has justified its attacks by saying that they are in response to rocket attacks from Gaza. However, Palestinian militants have said that they will continue to fire rockets at Israel until it lifts its blockade of the Gaza Strip.
The international community has condemned the Israeli bombardment of Gaza and called for an immediate ceasefire. However, Israel has so far refused to halt its attacks.
The situation in Gaza is becoming increasingly desperate. Hospitals are overflowing with patients, and medical supplies are running low. The Israeli power cuts are also making it difficult to treat patients.
The international community must take urgent action to pressure Israel to lift its blockade of Gaza and to stop its attacks on the territory. The people of Gaza deserve to live in peace and security.

Comments
Post a Comment